Thursday, February 5, 2015

Hear here! It all makes sense.

Snowplows pushing, train whistles blowing, airplanes flying, bus brakes squealing, children yelling. These are the sounds I know.
Heater clicking, cat meowing, neighbors shoveling, garbage trucks stopping, car doors slamming. These are the sounds I hear.
Voices yelling, my sons laughing, always moving, tvs blaring, phones always ringing.These were the sounds I loved.

Grandkids active, loved ones chatting, morning bird songs, daytime bustle, nighttime silence. These are the sounds I crave.
 
 
I've been having some problems with my hearing. It's slowly coming back but while life was muffled so I gave a lot of thought to my senses. Which would I choose to lose if I got to choose? Sight, sound, touch, taste,smell?
To taste a steak fresh off the grill or an ice cold beer in the middle of August? Savoring the flavors of herbs from my garden or berries from the farmers market? These are things I love. The sourness of lemon, the sweetness of Christmas cookies. I'd be so sad without those things, yet I could go on. 

The scents of Summer, Spring and Fall. The gentle smell of lavender and the lilacs every year. Fresh cut grass and gasoline, pine trees, popcorn, brownies warm from the oven. The smell of leaves in October, of the chill in the air.  I'd be so sad without these things, yet I could go on. 

The feel of my dogs soft fur, a hand clasped in mine, a hug from someone I love. The crumbling of dirt beneath my hands, the softness of a baby's skin, the feel of cool sheets and warm blankets. I would be sad without those things, I guess I could go on. 

The sound of my sons calling for mom, my granddaughter's voice, to hear "I love you", to say goodbye, to say hello, to hear the rainfall hit the roof and thunder crash and boom. Music playing, peopIe chatting, laughter flowing. It would be sad without these things, I wonder if I'd go on.

To see the faces I adore. To watch a movie, read a book, view a wonder. The sight of nature, God's pure world, the things that man has made. My eyes see heartbreak, joy, and sadness as I go through my day. I take for granted all I see. I forget the beauty around me. What I skip over today I know  I'll see tomorrow, this I can go without. I don't think I would or should go on but I know I could.

My Mother was blind in her last days. A process that robbed her slowly of the things she loved to do. My life is no big celebration of adventure and challenge and dares. I am nothing more than a simple soul who uses her eyes to savor life. My children, my granddaughter's beautiful face, the Falls, the parks, just me and my camera looking at the world. My ears are healing now. I can hear my idiot dog barking at the wind. I can listen to the sound of my grandfather clock chiming every little bit. I can smile when a friend calls me and talks to me for hours. It's still a little muffled but I hear it more each day.

Taste, smell, touch, hear, see.  I can live without those things. I wouldn't want to but I can. As long as I have just one.. my sight or sound or touch to keep me whole I know I'll always feel blessed even when some other senses go. I just needed a little wake up call to remind me how lucky I am. 

2 comments:

  1. Very thought-provoking, Tia. I can remember having discussions of this type in elementary school. "Suppose you were blind or deaf or crippled, would you still want to live.?" My answer was always yes, yes, yes! I was always shocked when anyone said otherwise. I suppose sight would be the toughest for me to lose, my greatest pleasure is looking at the world. But then I recall this magnificent quote from Helen Keller and it puts everything in perspective: “If I regarded my life from the point of view of the pessimist, I should be undone. I should seek in vain for the light that does not visit my eyes and the music that does not ring in my ears. I should beg night and day and never be satisfied. I should sit apart in awful solitude, a prey to fear and despair. But since I consider it a duty to myself and to others to be happy, I escape a misery worse than any physical deprivation.” ,

    ReplyDelete